Amidst all this craziness, I was able to get into Riley when I was back on campus getting my things and took home the second painting I was working on. I am hoping to finish this painting relatively soon so I can start my final painting. This is the progress that I have made on the painting since I last showed it during the critique.
For my final painting I want to continue with the collage paintings I have done so far this semester. The inspiration for this image came from wanting to incorporate ideas from my last two paintings.
My process of making these images involved printing a bunch of images of my parents, my brothers and myself, along with images of natural disasters I picked out, and just messing around with them and seeing what worked and what I liked.
I loved thunderstorms as a kid. I have really vivid memories of sitting with my dad during a big summer storm, looking out of the window of my parents' room, counting the seconds after thunder and waiting to see lightning. I felt such an overwhelming sense of being safe in my house with my family, watching the crazy storm outside and not being scared.
I like the way that the image captures this sense of nostalgia, and also continues on the theme of my last paintings. For me, this image represents how as kids we look to our parents to make us feel safe and loved. We think our parents are superheroes and that they will protect us from everything. We run to them in the middle of the night when we wake up from a bad nightmare and crawl into their beds when we are scared. As we grow up, we realize that they really can't shield us from all the bad things that happen. Sometimes they're actually the cause of stress and anxiety in our lives, and it's sad and heartbreaking when we realize that our parents aren't the superheroes we thought they were, but that's just a part of life and we grow up.
I think I'm going to do the same size as my previous paintings, 40"x30" because why not. Full send on the size because really what else do I have to do.


The shirt in your progress photo looks extremely detailed and photo realistic. I love your choice for the final painting, I think it brings your ideas together really well and i love the color palette.
ReplyDeleteThis progress is super awesome! The background especially is looking epic! What made you decide to go with a colored foreground figure in this painting as opposed to the black and white of your last one?
ReplyDeleteI am also curious about this^
DeleteThis painting's starting to come out really nicely and I think the fabric and wrinkles in the boy's shirt are crazy, it looks awesome. I like your next idea a lot and I'm excited to see how it comes out.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait for you to paint the juice box. You did such an amazing, photo-real job with the shirt it's going to look so cool. I'm happy you went with the thunderstorm pic! This series is going to be so powerful when they're all together
ReplyDelete