Hi everyone!
I was able to get my materials and paintings from Riley after spring break, so I am planning on finishing my first painting within the next week. I still have to add details to the right mountains, the bottle, and the glass balcony, and I also have to add the two glasses next to the bottle. I am also planning on adding a gradient to the sky but will probably do that last. My progress so far is below:
The scenes in my paintings are inspired by places that I spent time growing up / have significance to me, but the details are from my imagination. The goal I am trying to accomplish with my paintings is for the viewer to just feel at peace and like they are apart of the scene. Especially in this time with all of the stress around us I hope that the viewer can look at it and get a few seconds of an escape.
For my next painting, I wanted to paint a huge painting to better accomplish this, so I ordered a 5-foot by 4-foot canvas. I want to make this painting based on a body of water rather than mountains and I also want to try to make the water flowing / more dynamic. I have experimented with a couple of compositions but none of them are working at the moment, so I am still sketching ideas.
Here are some images with examples of water that are inspiring me (shout out to Chloe for the 2nd picture!):
Let me know what you think !





I LOVE that you are going big, I feel like with the mountain scene, because of the inclusion of a balcony, I feel as if I can stand on that balcony, with an even bigger canvas it will really feel as if we are stepping into the scene. I think including a balcony or ledge or some sort of viewing point helps with that so I am interested to see if you include a spot for the viewer in this composition
ReplyDeleteSuper excited to see your final concept for your next piece and the kind of detail that going that large will allow you to get!
ReplyDeleteThe second/fourth pictures you found would be really incredible as large paintings. Your technique mimics the natural reflective properties of water quite well and I think that it would be a super effective way to represent these scenes.
ReplyDeleteI love how your mountain painting is coming along, and I am excited to see how you will take on the next painting (will it also be a hard edge technique?). I am wondering how the blue waters and blue mountains will play with each other.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy how scenic your compositions are. After seeing your painting progress the bottle and the railing for the first piece, feel like they tie the scene together and give your work a sense of place and belonging.
The larger scale is going to be so cool! The compositions in the reference pictures are all super unique- I'm excited to see what you do next! Do you think you're going to keep with the heightened level of detail that you have in your first painting? Or do larger areas with the same color?
ReplyDelete