Painting #3 Philippon

The concept of this painting is oriented around my hometown in Colorado and the energetic, lively atmosphere during this time of year but also the underlying reality behind many of the people who live and work here. During the spring in Vail, the snow conditions change and result in more sloppy, flamboyant skiing, which also prompts people to wear costumes and vibrant colors on the mountain. 

 

It’s one of my favorite times of the year to be home and ski, but when it comes to an end the offseason begins, and the emptiness of a resort town without tourists and seasonal workers sets in. The loneliness that takes over the town during this time of the year is one of the contributing factors to why Vail and ski towns in the Rocky Mountains, in general, have some of the highest suicide rates in the country. This may come as a surprise, but with a lack of strong mental health support, a seasonal population, high substance abuse, and the challenge of living in an expensive town on a low budget, this makes more sense. This is something that I feel is not widely known and with the desire to paint a mountain scene, I want to incorporate this concept as well. 


I want to paint a mountain landscape because I never really have before and they have always been very meaningful to me. The background image I plan to use is an image from the ski film Magma (without the skier in the back). I think I will leave the distorted fisheye effect, as I like the vastness is adds to the landscape. I want to use a vibrant color scheme, representing ski culture and style, especially during the spring, for the figure in the center of the piece. I edited an image of the Ancient Roman statue “Dying Gaul.” The vibrant, energetic colors will juxtapose his struggling pose to represent the contrast between the ideal perception of the mountain life and the reality that it is for many. (edited in photoshop)

Comments

  1. I love how you are playing with the duality between energy and liveliness and the loneliness and mental health struggles in Colorado. As someone who spent a lot of time in Aspen Colorado growing up (and occasionally in Vail) it makes sense to me how a place so lively and luxury could become deserted and have financial challenges. I love this combination of the sculpture with these vibrant colors, as well as your use of a still from a film. I think keeping it in a fish eye would also add to the playfulness and sport associated with Colorado (and go pros).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really loving the ideas behind this piece. Have all of the recent challenges and increased isolation changed or enhanced your view on the concept?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something I never thought about, and I admit I also glorified the small mountain town stereotype. I think it's an interesting statement to combine such modern themes with figures from more classical art. I also like the fisheye effect, but I would make sure you emphasize the mountains in your background or do I bluer sky so that you don't loose your setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the effect of the fish eye lens really emphasizes the feeling of loneliness, along with the pose of the statue, showing a kind of warped sense of self. The juxtaposition of the bright, happy colors and the underlying sadness of the figure is really effective in portraying your idea. This is such a cool idea and reference photo, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome idea for a painting and I am excited to see updates. I think the contrast between the more playful fish-eye lens and bright colors versus the figure and the backstory behind the piece will make for a very effective painting. I grew up skiing out west and never considered the mental health challenges that small mountain towns face until now, so I think it is great that your painting is bringing awareness to this important issue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment