Since I no longer have access to the same materials and space for these next two paintings, I’ve decided to change up my original plan/theme to shift from depiction of religious/spiritual experience to the topic of introspection. Instead of painting other models, I’d like to go back to working on self-portraits for now. My reasons for this are that I am unable to take reference photos of friends anyway at this time, and also being isolated for this long has made me quite self-reflective. I also am going to work on a smaller scale of 12x16 in.
Something I want to explore in my next pieces is the way people interact with the outside world in the age of technology now that we can’t leave our houses and what that could look like.
About 2 and a half years ago when I first started painting more regularly, my pieces usually had black and white color schemes and were more abstract/sort of pop-arty. The left picture is a painting from that time period. I feel inspired to mimic that style again so that is my goal for my next work, reference image for the future piece is on the right!
The painting on the left was done in spray paint and acrylic. I achieved the mesh look by spray painting over actual mesh as a stencil. The piece I am currently working on is going to be done in oil (not really sure how that is going to turn out) but I think it will not be too hard so long as I thin out the oil enough with Liquin. Some adjustments I’m going to make to my reference image when actually painting is to get rid of the shower curtain in the back because it’s kind of distracting. Also will not include my photo ID in my phone wallet! After the black paint is dry I am planning to go over it with a wash of some brighter color, or maybe do what I did in the left painting and have the color coming down like a light and bleeding into the dots.

really interested to see how this turns out, sad that you are working smaller but it'll be interesting to see how much detail you are still able to capture in that size. Excited to see you work in a different style (although I love you're style)
ReplyDeleteWhat do you think your process will look like for incorporating the dotwork into the image? Also love the concept, that is certainly something on everyone's minds right now
ReplyDeleteI like the style of your other paintings but I'm excited to see this new style and how your next pieces come out. I'm a big fan of the concept as well and I feel like it's a good opportunity right now to explore a new topic that normally isn't as prevalent in today's world.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of switching up the style of your paintings and trying something new. I'm sure it will be fun for you to do something different and experiment with this style you used a few years ago. Are you planning on doing the painting in black and white?
ReplyDeleteI really like the style of the painting you are working with next. It has a modern noir like vibe to it. I would just be careful that you don't loose all of the detail around your eyes in the reference image
ReplyDeleteThe composition of the photo on the right is super interesting. I think it would be cool to even increase the contrast in your painting by making the phone even brighter and keeping your face dark (kinda commenting on the loss of human interaction through tech) Love this style!
ReplyDelete