Quick update on the puzzle portrait. I've started painting, and I know there are some things I need to go back and fix in the face and everything, but I got a solid first layer down so I'm pretty happy with that.
I've started to think about my fourth painting, and I want to do something to express the sense of loss, of unfinished business that the COVID 19 crisis has caused for so many students. For this, I've chosen to paint a photograph from one of my last days on campus, the last rehearsal NSR (Not-So-Royal Shakespeare Co., the student group I've worked with since I was a freshman) had of our spring show, King Lear. At that rehearsal, we were really proud of our work, and that particular rehearsal was or first full run of the show, and we were all incredibly proud of the work we'd been able to do in the absence of our director who was out of town for the week. We were stoked to show off our work and goofing around because we could feel Spring Break upon us. The photograph I'm using is one that has become an iconic image with my friends, and it reminds me of the Best Show that Never Was.
I plan to posterize it, and then paint its outline like an illustration in a coloring book and only fill it in partially with color to convey the feeling of it being unfinished, as well as the nostalgia of the image itself. That rehearsal is forever frozen into my brain as a happy, hopeful, and creative time with people that I already miss very dearly.

I’m really excited to see the second painting. I completely understand the emotion you’re trying to capture and love the idea of using a very candid, silly moment instead of a more formal cast photo or something along those lines. Leaving it purposefully unfinished will add a different dynamic to the lighthearted image.
ReplyDeleteAlso, as someone whose family has completed many puzzles this month, I love the puzzle painting so much. Super creative idea!