Hello all! I know I posted earlier this week, but I wanted some feedback cuz I'm genuinely torn on what to do with my last painting.
First, here's how the third painting turned out, critique-ready (and still fully functional as a puzzle, which I'm very excited about). Any pointers you have on it are appreciated. I was just going a little crazy looking at it myself so I figured it was time for outside opinions.
And now for the real reason I'm posting, my fourth and final painting (ignore the smudging, that will be dealt with over the weekend):
I was originally planning to fill parts of it in with color, but as I was painting the outline in, I really like how it ended up looking with just the stark black-and-white. I like how it makes it look unfinished, but I feel obligated to do more. This is when I realize how much I miss being in a studio setting.
First, here's how the third painting turned out, critique-ready (and still fully functional as a puzzle, which I'm very excited about). Any pointers you have on it are appreciated. I was just going a little crazy looking at it myself so I figured it was time for outside opinions.
And now for the real reason I'm posting, my fourth and final painting (ignore the smudging, that will be dealt with over the weekend):
I was originally planning to fill parts of it in with color, but as I was painting the outline in, I really like how it ended up looking with just the stark black-and-white. I like how it makes it look unfinished, but I feel obligated to do more. This is when I realize how much I miss being in a studio setting.


I love the high contrast in your fourth painting! I think the figures have a perfect amount of detail, but if you wanted to add color, you could definitely go for some muted tones in the background to define the space a little more.
ReplyDeleteI love your puzzle painting so much! Its so cool that it also functions as a puzzle, very neat way of using your materials.
ReplyDeleteI really like the unfinished look to your painting. What I like most about it is the "vectorized" hard edge look with the dainty lines to suggests the figures.
A suggestion, to make it look most complete and if you are open to using color in this piece would be to mix some vibrant colors for the background and add them in like a color block. It could give your painting a movie poster look. I think that could look pretty cool. Look up "SAUL BASS MOVIE POSTERS" for a better idea of what I mean.
I love how your first painting can be displayed a million different ways depending on which pieces you take out (very clever!)
ReplyDeleteFor your next painting I understand how you feel, because I am a huge fan of line drawing type styles myself. I looked up Saul Bass Movie Posters on Angie's recommendation and I definitely agree with her.
I love the puzzle as a canvas! And the juxtaposition of the portrait on the chaotic background.
ReplyDelete