Update from Kate

Hello!

1. Miss y’all and hope you’re doing well ❤️
2. I just finished my recent portrait piece. I went over the shoulder area with some Liquin and Burnt Sienna/Yellow Ochre/Raw Umber to darken it a tinge as some of you had suggested during our last crit. Over last week I also went back in and completed the butterflies! I’d love any feedback you guys may have on how it turned out or any suggestions as to how to expand on the theme/series, so here’s a picture of how it turned out:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1x1Y11fTgDCRpeeo5_qFlm0ITy4BkGUG8
3. In the meantime before I get more panels in from Blick, I think I’m going to do a little still life of a roll of toilet paper, package of ramen noodles, and airpods or something similar. I’m trying to come up with something small to sum up daily life in quaratine, and it’s somewhat lame but kind of sums up the weirdness of the now and I hope it’ll be a good transition before I get back to more “mature” pieces. Lmk what you think!
4. I ordered one big 4x5 ft. canvas and a 24x36 in. panel to attempt two more pieces before the end of May. I’m going to have my sister model for another portrait and am considering switching things up and doing a landscape for the big one because I’ve been missing the outdoors. I a few some photo sources (below) but am still thinking things through, so I’ll update to the blog when I have progress shots on the small still life and when I create a solid source image for the other two!
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=14UFVbR8NWYYGyGgBBDcaRsPCnIM-S90Ihttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=17ewwwO4RngIiUzF-i5Kp1B14fw-lKzKb
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1o5rzdz8ap4WJfSXXb9EHO0okwmF0fBYQ

Comments

  1. Miss you too! The flesh tones definitely look more lifelike with the slightly darker tint and I think the color scheme works really well overall, especially with the addition of the butterflies. If I remember correctly, you were originally thinking orange and brighter teal? I think the more neutral butterflies really look awesome on the darker background and with what feels like a moodier piece. It seems more cohesive than I think it might have if you had gone more vibrant. I think the still life idea is a great one, I have been pursuing similar small projects just for fun and to keep busy and it think its nice to mix it up a little. can wait to see when it's done

    ReplyDelete
  2. The warm, moody cast on the butterfly painting works really well! The butterflies look a little flat to me, but the face is entrancing. Really incredible. I really like the concept for the quarantine still life. It made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the finished portrait! The butterflies look really delicate and the skin tone overall looks more cohesive and life like. Really looking forward to the still life, I feel like it sums up so many people's experiences right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the finished portrait came out really well. I really like what you did with the butterfly wings by making each one have different colors and the balance that it creates between the more detailed patterns and general color tones. The hair in the figure also blends really nicely into the background while still standing out as the model's hair and shaping her head. I like your still life idea and I think it will be really cool to see how the daisies come out if you end up choosing to include them in one of your next paintings .

    ReplyDelete
  5. miss you tons! I love how the portrait came out, i think that the butterfly colors work really well. obsessed with the skin tone and level of detail you always put into your work.i love how the freckles look and how the hair blends a little with the background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The finished portrait came out so well. I love the composition of the butterflies in her hair and the introduction of more cool colors with the butterflies. I really like the way she appears to emerge/blend with the background. I think doing a landscape for one of your next pieces is a great idea and think it would be a good transition from portraits - can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your finished painting! I think you could do some very interesting things with the up close image of the dandelion especially on a black background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the still life idea! Have you considered do some drawing or painting for your dogs and cat?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The finished portrait is amazing! I know we had talked about how the black butterfly wings would look cool, but I think the incorporation of muted colors looks fantastic. Excited to see your next!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment