I added some final details to my third painting, such as faint cast shadows, filling in the rest of the snow, and adding more of a haze to the fisheye border. I also went over the figure with a slightly darker shade of blue, which I thought ended up being a little too dark and I might try to fix. 
I ended up deciding to change my idea for my final painting. Most of my recent artwork has been very human-oriented and although I’m interested in themes based on human interaction, earth day kind of inspired me to replace the human subject with a saddle-billed stork. This species of bird, along with egrets, herons, cranes, and even pelicans have always captivated me when seeing them in the wild. As a child, I could sit and observe these animals for hours. There is an elegance to their physical form and movements, which especially stands out in the transformation of their bodies when they open their wings to take flight. This stood out to me most recently, when my family had the opportunity to go on a safari in Botswana, and I saw these birds in the wild. I aimed to capture their essence by draping the stork in the painting in a white robe, which is often associated with holiness and purity. I also included a circular form around the head of the stork, which refers to the halos used in Christian art when depicting angels and saints, although I do not plan to make the shape look exactly like a halo. Ultimately I want to depict the saddle-billed stork using traditional methods to emphasize the reverence I view them with. The painting is pretty early in the process. Certain sections are filled in with solid colors that I plan to add much more detail to try to make it look realistic.

I ended up deciding to change my idea for my final painting. Most of my recent artwork has been very human-oriented and although I’m interested in themes based on human interaction, earth day kind of inspired me to replace the human subject with a saddle-billed stork. This species of bird, along with egrets, herons, cranes, and even pelicans have always captivated me when seeing them in the wild. As a child, I could sit and observe these animals for hours. There is an elegance to their physical form and movements, which especially stands out in the transformation of their bodies when they open their wings to take flight. This stood out to me most recently, when my family had the opportunity to go on a safari in Botswana, and I saw these birds in the wild. I aimed to capture their essence by draping the stork in the painting in a white robe, which is often associated with holiness and purity. I also included a circular form around the head of the stork, which refers to the halos used in Christian art when depicting angels and saints, although I do not plan to make the shape look exactly like a halo. Ultimately I want to depict the saddle-billed stork using traditional methods to emphasize the reverence I view them with. The painting is pretty early in the process. Certain sections are filled in with solid colors that I plan to add much more detail to try to make it look realistic.
Comments
Post a Comment