‘I’m on TIME!’ Is the first painting I have completed whilst here at Notre Dame on exchange. Since the start of my journey here, I’ve found it easier to make light of my confusion navigating U.S. life. The people that typically feature on Time Magazine are usually well known and have a lot to say about how they live their life and how they achieved their successes. This painting appropriates the recognisable TIME magazine cover and puts a self portrait of myself as the main focus- juxtaposing the general notion that those who feature on TIME are well known and have control over their life and situation.
The size of the painting matches that of an A4 page and a typical magazine; from a distance it looks as if it could be the real thing.
Memories and Scenes of WA
Memories and Scenes of WA, 20” x 20”, acrylic on canvas, 2024
Memories and Scenes of WA is a tribute to my home that calls to the memories attached to the scenes and environments that I miss the most whilst here on exchange in the U.S. Working in the expanded representation prompt, each memory collages together and combines into a dream like generalised representation of what I think when prompted with ‘Memories and Scenes of WA’.
While each image is based on photographs I used for research, each section of the work is based on what my memory and feelings were saying about the specific location. The choice of colour palette and patterned spaces reflect this. Small bits of text can be found that explain the memory attached to the location and provide context that help viewers understand my interpretation of the location.
These Walls Build Us
These Walls Build Us, approx. 13” x 20” (2.7” x 3.9” each), acrylic on paint swatches, 2024
The walls of our homes have seen so many memories and are witness to the growth of not just ourselves but the people around us. My work ‘The Walls That Build Us’ plays on this idea by using wall paint swatches from a local hardware store to display not only my own, but my families photo memories. The selection of painted memories are taken from the small everyday things of my life, family photos from growing up, and old photos from the family. The old photos were a special touch and are inspired by the concept of the butterfly effect as they show the life events from my family spanning from my great, great grandmother all the way to my parents that have shaped the life I live today.



Comments
Post a Comment