As I flesh out my senior thesis, I have set on exploring the different performances that I perform day to day, which are simultaneously part of my identity and results from the environments I find myself in.
I am articulating these identities through inspiration from childhood Flash dress-up games, paper dolls, Nikki Lee's "Projects", and James Luna's Take a Picture with a Real Indian.
I want to focus on how outward appearance, specifically clothes, is part of social performance. Painting a life-size, full-body, self-portrait of myself, I am creating a default avatar that audiences can customize through paintings of clothes. Some variations of myself people will be able to create include Game Day, Folklorico, Church, and Yuppie.
Below is my progress on the project so far. I intend to complete my "Default" avatar and start on the clothes for my variations by the end of the semester.
Paulina (Default) (Progress Images)
Oil on Wood, 2024
Paulina (Default) (Reference Image)
Photograph, 2024
Comments
Post a Comment